Creamy Noodle and Ground Beef Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) package medium egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lean ground round
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine sour cream, cottage cheese, onion and parsley.
- Set aside.
- Cook noodles and drain.
- Brown ground beef in oil.
- Drain off liquid and discard.
- Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Grease a 9X13 pan.
- Begin layering as follows: 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 noodles, 1/2 sour cream mixture.
- Repeat these layers, ending with meat sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yep! It's a keeper. I made it tonight, and it was the first time in a while that nobody fussed about dinner - one way or another. I didn't really change anything, except, I could only get a package of Kluski noodles (those nice Polish ones), so they probably absorbed more liquid than your basic egg noodles. It reminded me of lasagna - Thanks!
This was OK, sorry, it just wasn't a big hit for me. The meat sauce was so thick that I added the same amount of water as tomato paste to make it spreadable. I also thought it tasted bland so I added a teaspoon of Italian seasoning and some garlic. I did eat it all though, I froze half of it in single serving containers and it was a good thing for those nights I didn't feel like cooking.
This was very good, but, I found that 2 cans of tomato paste plus the ground beef doesn't constitute a "sauce." It was very, very thick and difficult to spread. I will definitely make again, but will likely thin out the tomato paste with some water, or just substitute a jar of good spaghetti sauce. Either way, The flavors were very simple but good. I liked the fact that although the texture was like lasagna, the creamy taste was different with the sour cream. Thanks for the recipe, and I would have rated 5 stars if the sauce was thinner. No worries, though, it's still a keeper.
see 1 more reviews