Creamy Mexican Chicken
This is a recipe I just tried last night and my husband wouldn't quit raving about! It's easy to make, light on calories, and great for the whole family. It can be made spicier or milder depending on you taste. We like it very spicy, so we added some cayenne before putting it in the oven.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) box Spanish rice, prepared, I use Old El Paso, I think this is 6 ounces but I'm not sure
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, and all seasonings, and chicken and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare spanish rice according to box directions.
- Spray bottom of casserole dish and add spanish rice.
- Top with chicken mixture.
- In separate bowl, whisk together cream cheese, milk, sour cream and green chilies.
- Pour over chicken and rice.
- Sprinkle with a little more paprika.
- Cook in oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly bubbling.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a great dish. I hope more people try it. The combination of flavors is awesome. I use Zatteran's Spanish Rice although I'm sure most any packaged rice would work. The timing worked out great as far as the rice cooking while the chicken and spices were browning and cooking. Everyone liked it and this will definitely go in the regular rotation for evening meals. Thanks so much for posting this!Reply