Creamy Dreamy Rice Pudding (Non-Dairy)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup arborio rice (short grain Italian rice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups unsweetened soymilk (beverage)
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (use a bean if you've got it)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- Boil the water and rice together on medium heat until the rice releases its starch and becomes creamy.
- Add 1 cup soy milk and the maple syrup. Simmer, stirring frequently until most of the soy milk is absorbed, and the rice is bubbly and thick (about 7 minutes).
- Add second and third cups of soy milk in the same manner as the first, continuing to stir frequently.
- When the pudding has reached the desired creaminess (about 5 minutes following last soy milk addition), remove from heat and add the vanilla and spices.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- The pudding may be eaten warm or cold, and will firm up a little as it cools.
- Store covered in the refrigerator up to two days, if it lasts that long.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummy and creamy! Also happens to be healthy and vegan! Used vanilla soy milk and Grade B maple syrup and didn't find it overly sweet. Too much nutmeg for me, next time I would omit, but that's just a personal preference. Arborio is so well-suited to rice pudding, it adds a lovely creaminess. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A former career girl, I am a stay-at-home mother of 4 who loves to cook and bake. I am a vegetarian, environmentalist, humanitarian and activist. My other interests include gardening and music.