Creamy Chicken Pizza Topping
A local pizza joint makes a creamy chicken pizza which is one of my favourites so I thought I'd try to recreate it. They use mushrooms whereas I've used pineapple because I always like the extra sweetness and moisture that pineapple gives to a pizza. I've assumed you are already armed with a pizza base and know how to use it, personally I used Recipe#256080 and cooked on an outdoor grill but then browned a little under a grill. For a fresh dough it's best to pre-cook a little because otherwise the liquid will seep in and make it soggy. I used the quantities listed to top to a 35cm / 14" pizza, it tends to spread out a bit while cooking so make sure you cook in a well sized tray.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 250 g chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (reserve juice if using tin)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, coarsely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 150 g tomato paste
- Cook chicken breast in oven for 30 minutes at 180°C / 350°F or grill until cooked through. You can of course use leftover chicken.
- Melt butter over gentle heat in a small saucepan and stir in flour until mixed well.
- Stir in milk gradually and continue to stir until it has reduced just a little, not much just a minute or two.
- Reduce temperature to low and stir through cheese until it has just melted and remove from the heat.
- Stir through the pineapple juice and stir rapidly to get it back to a thinner consistency.
- Coarsely cut the chicken into cubes roughly 1cm (little under 1/2") across and add to the cheese sauce and mix through.
- Stir through pineapple, onion, garlic, parsley, chives and sage. Place in the refrigerator 30 minutes while you prepare the oven/grill or alternatively it can be done in advance.
- Spread the base with the tomato paste or your favourite pizza sauce and then evenly spread the chicken mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the top and cook as per your preferences until the cheese is melted through etc.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Super scrummy pizza topping.....just needed a few chilli flakes to pep it up a little for our tastes.<br/>I used our favourite homemade pizza sauce, and went with the pineapple option ( which DH wasn't impressed with at first, but thoroughly enjoyed!).<br/>Cheers Peter....great recipe.....I salute you!<br/>Made for AUS/NZ SWAP#84Reply
3 of us managed to gobble up the lot, I didn't have the dried herbs specified so used mixed herbs but only half the amount specified as I had poached my chicken breast in fresh herbs of rosemary, lemon thyme and sweet basil but otherwise made as specified. Thank you Peter J made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #81 October 2013.Reply