Creamy Chicken or Shrimp Enchiladas
I created this recipe when I couldn't find any other enchilada recipe that matched the ingredients I had on hand and was very pleased with my results. This dish can easily be made as spicy or mild as you like, by omitting or adding hot peppers, and adjusting the spices to your taste.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp or 3/4 lb chicken
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan, then whisk the flour in gradually. Once you have a thick butter/flour mixture, slowly whisk in the milk to create a thick white sauce. Whisk in 1 cup cheddar cheese. Season with the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, and salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil, then add onions and peppers. Sautee until soft, then add shrimp/chicken, cooking until the meat is cooked through.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pan with the peppers, onions and meat and stir. Spoon the cheese and meat mixture into the tortillas, about 2 or 3 tablespoons, then roll the tortilla and place in a greased baking dish, seam side down. After all the tortillas are filled and placed in the dish, cover with the tomato sauce, remaining cheese/meat sauce, the remaining 1/2 c cheese, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350.