Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Phyllo Packets
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 lb cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon white salt
- black pepper
- For the filling; heat 3 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the mushroom pieces and chopped bacon; cook stirring until softened (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking).
- Stir in the mustard, cream cheese, whipping cream and cooked chicken; mix well until combined.
- Layer 5 sheets of phyllo pastry together brushing each sheet with melted butter (keep the unused pastry covered with a barely-damp clean dish towel at all times to prevent drying out).
- Slice the pastry in half to form two squares then cut again to form four squares.
- Spoon one-forth of the filling onto the end of each square; roll once and tuck the ends in and roll up.
- Brush lightly with melted butter and then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Place rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and the filling is hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was my first attempt at using phyllo dough and was very pleased with how they came out. I left out the bacon, only because I didn't feel like waiting for it to thaw. Also used a finely minced onion in lieu of the green onions because I didn't have any. As the filling is rich, the phyllo balances it out with being light and crispy. Thanks Kit.