Creamy, Cheesy Lasagna
My modifications on an old classic - easy to put together, and yummy comfort food! Please note the title - beware: less is not more here :)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (can use half ground pork)
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (light is fine)
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese (fat-free is fine)
- 2 eggs or 2 egg substitute
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- In a dutch oven or very large skillet, brown the meat. Add the onion powder and garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, paste, water and seasonings.
- Cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- With mixer or food processor, mix the cream cheese, ricotta and eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350, and spray a large lasagna pan (11x15) with cooking spray.
- Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the pan, breaking the noodles as needed.
- Add half of the meat sauce, and spread evenly over the noodles.
- Gently spread the cream cheese/ricotta mixture evenly over the sauce.
- Lay the sliced Mozzarella on top of the cream cheese layer, covering completely.
- Lay the remaining lasagna noodles on top of this.
- Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the entire casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before cutting.
- NOTE: You could divide this into two smaller casseroles and freeze one.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I loved this, though I changed some things. I didn't have seasonings other than garlic, so I skipped those. I also didn't have eggs, so those were out. But I did have the rest. :D I love cheese so I used a lot of mozzarella. I also just chopped up Italian sausage from the store. For the top I put the sauce, a half the cheese mixture ( I only put half on the bottom), a layer of mozz. cheese and then the parmesan. It turned out great.Reply
I prepared this tonight to freeze, using two 8 x 8 Glad Ovenware containers. I was not going to rate this till I had reheated it for a meal, but I could not resist getting a spoonful out of the corner of one container! LOL! Okay, nobody will notice! LOL! This is the first time I have ever prepared lasagna and I must say this recipe is a breeze to follow and really not very time consuming! I followed the recipe as directed, dividing it up between two smaller containers (as stated above). The spoonful I had was delicious. I cannot wait to have this for a meal, but for now they are going in the freezer. I used "full-strength" cream cheese and ricotta cheese. If I were to do anything different, it may would be to use double the mozzarella. I liked it because the seasoning is not overpowering, just complimentary. I will try to update this review once I have reheated it and let you know how it turns out after being frozen. Thanks LorenLou!Reply
see 1 more