Creamy Cheese Soup
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine chicken broth, carrots, and green onion in a Dutch oven pan and heat on medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, flour, dry mustard, and pepper and mix well.
- Stir into chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, till thickened and bubbly.
- Remove 1 cup of the broth from the pan and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add softened cream cheese and stir until blended well and cream cheese is almost melted.
- Pour this back into the heated broth mixture and stir well.
- Heat through.
- Just before serving, add sharp Cheddar cheese and stir until all is melted.
Join The Conversation
Very yummy! Cheesy and delicious. I used homemade chicken stock, which I highly recommend for any soup. Also lowfat cream cheese. Sharp cheddar is a must here. Blended the soup when done, but I think it would also be wonderful with pieces of carrot and green onion for color. Thanks, KC, for a great recipe!
Excellent! Switched from our traditional Christmas buffet onion soup to this creamy, tasty, hearty soup. Followed the recipe exactly except to add a dash or two of Tabasco (sort of standard thing to do where we live). It was a welcome warm-up during the first Christmas Day snow in New Orleans in 51 years!