Creamy 5 Onion Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This was created after trying a number of different types of onion soup recipes. It makes a large pot of a very satisfying comfort food. Goes great with grilled cheese, or just a good loaf of crusty bread.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices thick bacon, chopped into bit sized pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, halved & sliced
- 2 large white onions, halved & sliced
- 2 large red onions, halved & sliced
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 large leeks, bottoms only, washed thoroughly & sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter over medium high heat in a dutch oven. Fry the bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel and set aside.
- To the bacon drippings add the yellow, red, and white onions, shallots, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Saute, stirring often, until the onions begin to caramelize (at least 15 minutes).
- Add the leeks and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the flour, and stir gently until all the flour is incorporated. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the flour has begun to cook (at least 5 minutes).
- Add the Chicken stock and taste to adjust seasonings. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits off the bottom. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, partly covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and use a submersible blender to puree the soup. Add the cream, taste to adjust seasonings, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle into individual bowls, sprinkled with some of the reserved bacon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION