Creamed Peas and Mushrooms
photo by ChefLee
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half (or evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook frozen peas according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium low heat saute the green onions and the mushrooms in the butter until just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan; stir. Gradually add in milk stirring constantly to make a smooth sauce.
- Add seasonings and continue stirring until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Add cooked peas to sauce in pan and heat through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Good peas!! The sauce makes this side dish very rich so I could see serving it with fish or skinless chicken breast next time. I like the spice combo, the thyme comes through the strongest and I love thyme. I used evaporated milk and granulated white pepper and granulated garlic powder for extra flavor. Thanks for the recipe!!
I take a frozen turkey burger and put it in a pan with some olive oil and then add a little butter and flip it over until barely done and remove for chopping. I then add fresh sliced mushrooms and frozen peas to the now saucy pan. I add some sour cream or cream cheese whatever I have and adjust with splashes of milk and S&P. I serve it on top of white rice or Costco's perfect mashed potatoes. I have made this with steak, chicken and shrimp and they are all delicious. Instead of flour I like to thicken it with mashed potatoes it's much more savory. I just finished my leftovers from two days ago and I am a stuffed happy pig.