Chipped Beef Gravy & Toast
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) package sliced dried beef, rinsed & cut into bite sized pieces
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat.
- Thoroughly mix in flour & gradually add milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until thickened.
- Continue to heat for 5 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauceand sliced dried beef.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately over toast, prepared rice, noodles, or even pastry shells.
- We had for breakfast a lot, but is also good for lunch or dinner!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved this as a kid, but every time I have tried it over the years since then, I found it to be way too salty. Thank you for your instructions to rinse the beef first. That cut the salty taste way down. One of my favorite ways to eat this years ago was over a baked potato, so that is what I did tonight. Very good. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :) Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.
First, just let me say that I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this recipe. Now on to my review,I made this recipe for mine and SO's dinner and for the " Spring PAC 2009 "event. The recipe was made as written except I couldn't find the dried beef, so deli-style wafer thin beef was used.This is exactly the way my Mom made this when I was growing up. And my Dad used to call this S.O.S.;). This will be made again. Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling :) "
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have been a nurse for 21 years and a mom for longer than that! I love collecting recipes and was excited to find this site. I am a Granny and loving it. I have a six year old grand daughter from my oldest son and my daughter is having my second grandbaby in February. As a nurse, I have worked with Hospice, done Home Health. Worked in a critical care unit for the last 13 years and am now working in a cardiac cath lab. I love it. Just to update....my grandson was born Feb. 5th. He is beautiful!<img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">