Cream of Mushroom Soup With Madeira
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb wild mushroom (i've also used portabellas)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons madeira wine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and slice thin.
- Spread them out in a shallow ovenproof dish in a double layer.
- Add the lemon joice, garlic, butter and oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about an hour or until they are completely cooked and the juice is dark and thick.
- Set aside a few mushrooms for garnish if you desire.
- Put the remaining mushrooms in a blender or food processor, add the broth and blend smooth.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the broth mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook for 5 more minutes but don't let it boil.
- Put a tablespoon of Madeira in the bottom of each soup cup and add hot soup.
- Garnish with chives and reserved mushrooms.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!