Cream of Mushroom-Bacon Soup
- Ready In:
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 1 pint fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced red bell pepper
- Melt butter in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until onions are transparent, roughly 10 minutes.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, bacon, cream, water, and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with finely diced red bell pepper as a garnish. Leftovers will last 1 week in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!