Cream of Celery Soup
A tasty recipe from "The Brimming Basket," the newsletter of the Pike Place Market Basket CSA. It was adapted from "The New Laurel's Kitchen."
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch celery, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley or 1/4 cup celery leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups more broth
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes, celery, and celery seed, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are completely softened.
- If using cabbage, add it now and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender or food processor, and whir until pureed.
- Pour puree back into the pot and add the salt, pepper, parsley or celery leaves, paprika, and milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Note: also good with a couple of tablespoons chopped basil added, and with Parmesan shavings as garnish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious soup. I made a few changes I used 2 cups of water with 5 chicken bouillon cubes and 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/2 cup milk, didn't use the cabbage and I added 3 1/2 Tbs. of flour to make it cream up. I used this recipe with Recipe #173866. We had one delicious dinner! Thanks for sharing this recipe.Reply
see 1 more