Cream of Celeriac Soup With Crispy Pancetta and Croûtons
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 ounces streaky bacon, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 leek, white only, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 1 celeriac, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 7 fluid ounces double cream
- salt and white pepper
- 4 slices pancetta
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces celeriac, peeled and finely julienned
- white bread cubes
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- For the soup.
- heat a wide, deep sauté pan or large saucepan until medium hot,.
- add 25g/1oz of the butter, the onion and bacon and fry for a couple of minutes to just soften.
- Add the garlic, leek, celery and thyme sprigs and fry for another minute; then add the chopped celeriac.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the celeriac is just tender.
- Place into a food blender, in batches if necessary, and blend to a fine purée. Return to the heat in a clean pan.
- Add the cream and whisk in the remaining 50g/2oz of butter. Season with salt and white pepper.
- For the garnish.
- preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place the pancetta onto a flat baking tray and cover with a second tray of the same size.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes until crispy.
- Heat a frying pan until hot, add half of the butter and the olive oil and heat until foaming.
- Add the celeriac and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, or until just softened, then remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the rest of the butter and the bread to the pan and cook until golden-brown and crispy, tossing to cook on each side.
- Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve.
- pile the julienned celeriac into the centre of each of four soup plates.
- Ladle the soup around.
- Crumble the crispy bacon over the top and then scatter over the croutons.
- Finish with swirls of extra virgin olive oil and cream, and top with coriander cress.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!