Cream of Carrot Soup
I made this with fat-free half & half to lighten it up a bit. I couldn't tell from the original recipe whether to simmer the carrots covered or uncovered - doing it covered made a fairly thin soup. If you want a thicker soup, I'd imagine leaving it uncovered would help. From The Joy of Cooking.
- Ready In:
- 4 1⁄4 cups chicken stock or 4 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, cut into very thick slices
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or 1/2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Heat butter and 1/4 cup of stock in a large soup pot over medium-low heat, until butter is melted.
- Add onions, ginger, and curry powder and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened but not browned.
- Add remaining stock, orange juice, and carrots.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (or until carrots are tender).
- Puree soup.
- Return to pot, add cream or milk, black pepper, and season with salt to taste.
- Simmer until warmed through and serve.