Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 onions
- 2 cups celery, Chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- slivered almonds
- 1 tomatoes, Chopped
- Trim broccoli and cut into one-half inch thick slices.
- Steam in salted water until tender.
- In large sauce pan, melt butter and saute onions, celery and garlic until brown.
- Stir flour gradually into butter mixture.
- Add milk slowly, then add chicken broth and herbs.
- Stir over low heat until soup thickens and boils.
- Add broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
- Top with almond slivers, cheese or chopped tomato, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was very delicious on a cool, windy and rainy day here...I followed the directions completely only I did take part of the broccoli (about 1/3 like a previous reviewer) and pureed it with my immersion blender. Oh yes, I did cut it in half and topped with slivered toasted almonds and chopped tomato. Made for Zaar Alphabet Game 2010.
Super recipe, second time I have made it and it is fantastic. I speed the cooking time by using a grater to shred the vegetables and substitute two shredded carrots for the tomato. A quick, delicious, healthy meal. Try using raw milk if it is available in your area-it is delicious and a great source of vitamin D.