Cream of Brie and Leek Soup
- Ready In:
1 pot of soup
- 1⁄2 cup butter, unsalted (1 stick)
- 8 large leeks, finely chopped (white parts only)
- 4 cups chicken stock, unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 lbs brie cheese, well chilled, cut into small cubes (with rind)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until translucent, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add 4 cups stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until leeks are tender, about 25 minutes. Purée mixture in batches in blender.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in heavy large non aluminum saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Blend in half and half 1 cup at a time; whisk until smooth. Add 1/4 of cheese and blend until smooth and melted. Repeat with remaining cheese in batches.
- Strain soup through fine sieve, pressing with back of spoon. Return to saucepan. Mix in leek purée. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.) Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring constantly. Thin with more stock if desired. Season with salt. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with pepper and chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a married cruise-only travel agent with two stepsons, aged 20 and 25. It took a while to get the boys used to my cooking, as they were raised on fast food and pre-packaged foods (i.e. mac-n-cheese from the blue box, frozen dinners, Chef Boyardee, McDonalds, etc.). My mother is from Spain and I lived there as well as Germany, England and Italy growing up, which influenced both my career and my cuisine!</p> 8726943"