Cream of Asparagus and Leek Soup
This is my version of a recipe that I saw in the San Diego newspaper, but neglected to bring home with me. Try freezing the puree in smaller batches and adding the divided cream on those days when asparagus is out of season. Yummy!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb leek
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- Trim green part of leeks and discard. Thoroughly wash white portion and finely chop. (I find it best to completely separate the layers.).
- In large pot, saute leek, onion, and celery in butter and add white wine to keep vegetables moist. (You can alternately do this with some of the chicken stock.).
- Add asparagus and 4 cups of the chicken stock. Season with pepper. Simmer for 1/2 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup in small batches adding the remainder of the stock.
- In another pot reheat (but not boil) the puree while whisking in the cream (or milk.).
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION