Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
- Ready In:
- 1 large French baguette, preferably day-old (16-20 oz)
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1/4 cup walnuts
- dried cherries (optional) or cranberries (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free or regular half-and-half
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cannola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- confectioners' sugar
- sliced fresh berries
- pure maple or favorite syrup
- The night before, slice the baguette into 1 to 1 1/2-inch thick slices; you should get at least 12. Make a small slit on the bottom side of each slice to make a deep pocket for stuffing. you can do this when ready to cook, but it's best to let the bread sit out overnight.
- Just before cooking, in a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, nuts, dried fruit if using, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Evenly divide the cream cheese mixture, using a spoon to stuff it in each pocket.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, half-and-half, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- When ready to cook, warm the oil and butter on a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip the stuffed baguette slices in the egg mixture for a few seconds so it coats evenly. Don't let them soak too long or they will become mushy. Transfer to the griddle and cook on each side until browned.
- Remove from the griddle and place on a serving plate. Garnish with a dusting of confectioners' sugar and sliced berries. Serve with your favorite syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!