Cream Can Supper
photo by Ms B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 12 -15 potatoes, washed and cut in half
- 6 onions, left whole
- 12 carrots, cut into 3 to 4 inch chunks
- 2 heads cabbage, quartered
- 12 ears corn on the cob, cut in half
- 12 bratwursts (Italian sausages are good, as are spicier versions.) or 12 other sausages (Italian sausages are good, as are spicier versions.)
- 3 (12 ounce) cans beer
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Layer potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, corn and sausages in the cream can in the order listed.
- Pour in the cans of beer and season with salt and pepper. (Can also add garlic, Montreal Steak seasoning, or whatever other seasonings you prefer.).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Steam on propane burner for about one hour.
- Serve with buns for the sausages and/or plain white bread and butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My family has done this for years! We call it a hobo dinner. One thing that we have found to make this easier is to keep the mesh bags that bulk onions come in and separate all the vegetables by bag. Much easier to get them out by grabbing a bag with a pair of tongs and without everything getting mushed. We also like to put in a big ham bone and turnips.