Mudbug Madness is one of my favorite festivals (Shreveport, LA). Crawfish season isn't until March and I am so ready. This is the recipe my husband and I use for our crawfish boils. Adapted from Southern Living. Posted 12-9-04.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 1⁄2 gallons water
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 cup salt
- 3⁄4 cup cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 celery ribs, quartered
- 3 medium onions, halved
- 3 garlic heads, halved crosswise
- 5 lbs live crawfish (throw out the dead ones)
- Add 1 1/2 gallons water to a 19-quart stockpot; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add bay leaves and the next 12 ingredients; return to a rolling boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add crawfish; bring to a rolling boil over high heat; cook 5 minutes.
- Remove stockpot from heat; let stand 30 minutes (if you want spicier crawfish, let stand 45 minutes).
- Drain crawfish; serve on large platters on newspaper lined table with lots of napkins.
- Cold beer or iced tea is a must.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION