Cranberry Sandwich Spread
- Ready In:
2 cups (approx)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cranberries
- 2 cups apple cider (or enough to just cover the cranberries)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 dash mace
- 2 cinnamon sticks (remove after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicey prepared mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar (or to taste, it depends on how tart your cranberries are)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Just barely cover cranberries with apple cider. Add spices, balsamic vinegar, and mustard.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until cranberries pop out of their skins.Push all the mixture in the pan (except the cinnamon sticks) through a colander to remove the skins.
- Place back in pan and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the cornstarch into the water to dissolve and then add it to the mixture in the pan. Cook until thick and clear. Cool. Can be used as a glaze or as a sandwich spread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired nurse/nursing professor. I?ve been married to a great guy for 48 years. I love to garden and grow my own vegetables and flowers. I home can and freeze foods extensively. I?ve always had a love of cooking, but now it?s just the two of us, so I need to learn to cook in smaller quantities. I?ve always worked full time and often with a sideline part time job as well so I?m used to cooking double and freezing half for later. I don?t have to do that anymore and it?s been an adjustment. With the Covid pandemic we rarely eat out so this website has been a real blessing!?