photo by DuChick
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons walnut oil or 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- Bring 2 inches of water to boil in a small saucepan. Add cranberries, boil for 2 minutes. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg (if using) in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla (if using) in a small bowl until combined.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries; stir into the milk mixture. Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Coat a griddle or nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook 2 pancakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We love pancakes and we love cranberries, so this was sure to please us. My only suggestion would be to add a tablespoon or more of milk to the batter to thin it out a bit. My pancakes came out a little too thick and dense, not fluffy and light the way we prefer them. I will surely make them again and add more milk. Thanks so much for this one, Chef!
I have made this recipe twice now. The first time I doubled it and then this morning I quadrupled it (I like to have pancakes in the freezer at all times), but I added more cranberries and used both nutmeg and vanilla extract (and I subbed whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose). Fabulous pancakes. Definitely a recipe to make again. Thank you so much for sharing.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have 22 years of commercial culinary experience. I have worked at many fine hotels and country clubs. I am currently employed at the Kappa Alpha Theta house near the University of Texas (HOOK'EM HORNS!) I have been married for 4 & 1/2 years to my wonderful husband, Ken. We have 2 cats (ages 12 and 18), a new kitten and a German Shepherd mix (age 6) that we got at the local animal shelter a few years ago. I am a singer and play guitar and flute. My passion is cooking. I love to receive feedback on my dishes (good or bad) because I believe you can always improve your skills. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">