Cranberry Orange Pound Cake With Butter Rum Sauce
photo by Nova Scotia Cook
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1/2 cups margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh cranberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries (do not thaw)
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons light rum or 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease and lightly flour 12 cup fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, beat 2 3/4 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cups butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and orange peel.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In medium bowl, combine 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Gently stir in cranberries.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degree for 65 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp flour.
- Stir in half-and-half and 1/2 cup butter.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in rum.
- Serve warm sauce over cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Last week I bought some fresh cranberries and I finally made your recipe!! DEEEEEELICIOUS! I did add 2 teaspoons of orange zest, just because I love it! And I baked it in two loaf pans, one is in the freezer(not sure how long it will be there!) LOL This will become a family favourite too! Thanks NS Cook
this cake is beautiful! it's a hit every time i make it; i followed the instructions just as written, except i do tweak the baking time just a little (downward by a couple of minutes) to adjust to my oven temp. the butter rum sauce is to die for; we heat it in the microwave when serving leftover cake. if you like cranberries, this is a great recipe!