Cranberry Cottage Cheese Salad
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (1 lb) can cranberry sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 50 miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- Dissolve jello in hot water and add lemon juice.
- Chill until slightly thickened.
- Whip cranberry sauce and add with cottage cheese and sour cream to jello.
- Pour into buttered 9 inch ring mold.
- Chill until set.
- Whip cream and add soften cream cheese.
- Stir in marshmellows and sherry.
- Let stand in refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.
- Unmold salad on a plate.
- Fill the center of the salad with the Cream Cheese dressing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Tagged this recipe because it reminded me of a similar one my mom used to make way back in the distant past! I did, however, change a couple of things ~ Used a larger box of jello, use a bit less hot water than called for, & let the cottage cheese drain through a strainer overnight before using it! I also used a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, & it all came together very nicely, just as it always did for my mom! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
This recipe did not turn out for me, but we still used it. When I added the cheese, sour cream and cranberries it never became firm. Those three ingredients add up to 3 1/2 cups of soft ingredients added to a small box of Jell-O. So when we took the mold out several hours later did not work, it was just very soft but not soupy. I believe the problem is with the size of Jell-O, it should have been the larger 6-ounce box. Then I feel it would have had a better chance of getting firm and unmolding. I carefully spooned the topping on top of the salad in the bowl and off we went for Thanksgiving dinner. The salad still tasted fine and no one cared that it was soft. We just gave thanks to God that we were with family and had food on our table.