Cranberry Caramel Bars
- Ready In:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar (stir in cranberries and set aside)
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel sauce
- Combine 2 cups flour (save the 1/3 cup for the caramel) and the next 4 ingredients.
- Stir in butter until crumbly.
- Reserve a cup of this mixture.
- Press remaining mixture into lightly greased 13x9" pan.
- Bake 350ºF for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cranberries and pecans.
- Stir together caramel and 1/3 cup flour.
- Spoon over cranberries.
- Sprinkle with reserve 1 cup mixture.
- Bake 25 more minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I like to try a recipie "as is" before I go changing it, but unfortunately I ended up making a perfect mistake! I didn't have cranberries on hand, but I did have blueberries. Oh WOW!!! Definitely a 5 star recipie! Having said that, we need a 6th star option....Since then I have made these again but this time I added 1 cup coconut to the oat mixture (turned out perfect; not too dry). Then I added 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the berries and nuts in the center. HOLY FABULOUS! I really recommend these bars this way. Divine. 6 stars.
These bars are so good (and easy)! In fact, I have been making them every x-mas since I found this post in 02. I am actually making them tonight for some work friends. That makes 6 years! I just haven't written a response/rating for this recipe until now. I felt that it was about time that I give this recipe credit since I have received so many compliments on the bars I've made. You must try these!!!!
1Steve, I'm the one who requested this recipe on the recipe board. Although it's not the exact recipe I was looking for, it certainly is very close and gives me alot to work with! I really liked the tartness of the cranberries with the chewiness of the caramel in this recipe. I nice fall treat! Thanks for you help!