Cranberry and Nut Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 3 drops almond extract or 3 drops rum
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup chopped cranberries, raw
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel, freshly grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Generously butter a (or spray with non-stick spray) 12 large or 16 medium muffins pan.
- Combine chopped cranberries with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Whisk or sift together (sifting will make for lighter muffins), flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Beat egg, add milk and beat well. Add melted butter or shortening. Stir quickly into dry ingredients, mixing well just until dry ingredients are moistened, some lumps will remain.
- Stir in cranberries, chopped nuts, and orange peel (optional).
- Bake at 400°F for 20 or 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; brush muffin tops with melted butter. Sprinkle with coarse sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) who is taking a couple of years off from parish ministry to stay at home, write, and raise my twin toddler children. My wonderful husband works in publishing as a senior development editor. Our schedules are pretty hectic, so I'm always on the lookout for healthy, easy, and fast recipes--especially one pot meals.