Crack Conch (Crayfish) With Peas and Rice
photo by craftconn
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 lb conch or 1 lb crayfish
- 1 lb prepared tempura batter
- for the tempura batter
- 2 -4 cups water
- 1 lb flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 fresh thyme
- 1 egg (beaten)
- for bahamian peas and rice
- 1 cap pigeon peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 small ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 slices bacon or 2 slices salt pork, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Mix the flour, beaten egg, seasonings and water into a pasty batter. Add the water slowly since the batter should not be too watery but should be of a paste like consistency.
- Cut conch/crayfish into thumb-sized pieces then pour the tempura batter over the conch to cover each piece. Deep fry at 350-375 F until golden brown.
- Fry bacon or salt pork in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Next, add the onion, pepper, tomato, tomato paste and thyme, then add the peas, salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add 3 cups of water to the mix and bring to a boil.
- Next, add rice and stir. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 30.
- minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Serve with the conch/crayfish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a lady who just LOVES her food. I have a few recipes in mind and will be posting them when I can. I like to experiment with recipes and see if I can change the flavours to give a whole new perspective to a dish. <br /> <br />I live in South wales with my Husband and two children and two dogs. I love reading, socialising, gothic culture, music, Films and I belong to a local re enactment group. <br /> <br />At the moment my favourite cookbook is an indian one from Anjum Anand called Indian Made Easy.</p>