Crabpetizers - Crab Appetizers, of Course!
These little yummies are wrapped in wonton skins, fried, and served with a chipotle cream sauce. It's sort of like bites of crab enchiladas in wontons. *Helpful Nutritional Info:* One Billion Calories. ;) I honestly have no clue how many this turns out, but the sauce yield is 3 3/4 cups.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat, drained and picked over
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 3⁄4 lb assorted fresh wild mushroom (such as porcini and shiitake, stemmed and thinly sliced)
- wonton wrapper (1 package)
- vegetable oil
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 12 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed (also remove seeds if you're a wuss like me)
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved into
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- THE FILLING: Melt 1/2 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and shallot and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add vermouth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until almost no liquid remains in pan, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add crab and stir until heated through.
- Combine with mushrooms. Mix in 3/4 cup chipotle sauce, chives and pepper and bring to boil, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.) Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rewarm filling over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- THE SAUCE: Bring large pot of water to boil. Add chiles and boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Puree chiles with 1/4 cup cooking liquid in blender. Strain through sieve. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon chipotle paste, onion, rosemary, pepper, shallot and garlic and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced by half.
- Add cream and boil until reduced to thin sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Taste, adding more chipotle paste if desire.
- Add cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.).
- FILLING & COOKING THE WONTONS: Place 1 - 2 teaspoons filling in each wrapper and seal according to package directions, being careful to remove as much excess air as possible. Place single layer of wontons in hot oil (about 1/4" in bottom of wok) and fry 2 - 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper bags or paper towels, and serve immediately with chipotle cream sauce.