Crab and Cauliflower Chowder
This recipe was discovered in BH&G's Appetizer's publication and is a delicious way to begin a festive meal. Or, make it for a special lunch or light dinner for yourself.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Place the cauliflower and water in a saucepan and bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 4 minutes or just until crisp tender. Do not drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth and milk and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- stir in the undrained cauliflower, cream cheese, pimiento, parsley, chives and salt.
- Stir over low heat until cream cheese melts.
- Stir in the crabmeat and heat through, then add wine.
- Serve sprinkled with more chives and parsley if desired.
- You can make this ahead and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat gently and then serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Nummmy! I used non-fat cream cheese, canned crabmeat, 2 cups chicken broth, extra cauliflower and some shredded carrots *takes a breath* and only 1 tbsp butter. I made this into 4 servings and we enjoyed it with a melt sandwich for supper. This is a light tasting chowder, not heavy "fishy" like other chowders. Very, very good!Reply
I caramelized an onion and a few cloves of garlic, then added water and cauliflower to cook as in the directions. It's hard to believe, but I got a smooth soup even for having replaced some of the butter with olive oil and using whole wheat flour (didn't have white)! I also used fat free evaporated milk and imitation crab (on sale). It all tasted absolutely decadent and rich, but was actually quite healthy. I served this with some whole wheat crisped pita triangles. Thanks for a great recipe.Reply
see 5 more