Adopted from the Recipezaar account on 9/15/2006. Uncertain of original contributor.
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs first cut briskets of beef
- 3 garlic cloves, Slivered
- 3 garlic cloves, Crushed
- 4 large onions, Thinly Sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- With a long thin, sharp knife, make slits in the meat and insert the slivers of garlic.
- Place the meat in a bowl, spread 1 sliced onion and the crushed garlic over the meat, and pour in the vinegar.
- Marinate for 6 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator, turning several times.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the bacon fat in a deep, heavy skillet large enough to hold the brisket.
- Remove the brisket from the marinade and discard the onion and vinegar.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Brown the meat well on all sides.
- Remove brisket to a platter.
- In the fat remaining in the skillet, saute the remaining sliced onions until deeply browned.
- Pour in 1/2 cup coffee.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen the browned bits.
- Spread the onions and liquid from the skillet in a shallow baking dish.
- Place the brisket on the onions.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pour in the remaining coffee and water.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 1/2 hour.
- Turn the oven down to 250 degrees F. and bake for an additional 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.
- Skim the fat from the pan liquid.
- Return the meat slices to the pan.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for later use.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION