Country Style Ground Beef Meat Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 lbs ground beef (or use half each) or 3 lbs pork (or use half each)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup water or 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1/2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium-high heat; add in onion, celery and garlic and saute about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef or pork, cubed potatoes, water and half and half cream or milk;. cook while stirring until liquid has completely evaporated.
- Add in spices; cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes, then allow the mixture to cool.
- Fit bottom pie pastry into each 9-inch deep-dish pie plates.
- Divide the beef misture between each pie plate.
- Top each pie with top pie crusts then flute edges together.
- Cut slits in top of crust each, then place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in 450 degrees F (bottom rack) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly before slicing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My kids liked it which is very significant. To me, it seemed to be a little too dry and I thought adding cornstarch with a little water instead of cooking the filling until all the liquid is gone may help holding it together plus adding some moisture. Also I added frozen corn which I had in my freezer. I would add some frozen vege like peas & carrot or mixed vege to this recipe.