Country Sausage With Red-Eye Gravy
- Ready In:
- 1 lb coarsely ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup crouton, coarsely crushed
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup strong black coffee
- prepared biscuit
- In a medium bowl combine the pork, croutons, onion, garlic, the 1 teaspoon brown sugar, sage, salt, thyme, and cayenne. Mix thoroughly. Gently mix in cherries (for added flavor, soak cherries in 1/4 cup of bourbon for 15 minutes). Shape mixture into twelve 3-inch patties, using wet hands. Arrange on a tray. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- In a large skillet fry patties, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat:keep warm.
- For the Red-Eye Gravy, stir the 2 tablespoons brown sugar into the drippings in skillet. Stir in the coffee. Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 or 3 minutes or until gravy is slightly thickened and has a rich reddish brown, scraping the skillet to loosen any crusty bits.
- Split biscuits. Serve sausage patties in split biscuits with gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!