Country Salad (Lidia Bastianich)
photo by Carol D.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 3⁄4 lb small red potato
- 1 large crisp apple (1/2 lb. or so)
- 8 small radishes (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup red onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 8 ounces imported italian asiago cheese, rind removed, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Fill a pot or saucepan with 3 quarts water, and heat it to boiling.
- Tear off any tough leaves at the base of the cauliflower and cut out the core; break or cut the large branches in to small florets, drop them into the boiling water, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Lift from water, and drain well in a colander; when cool, put the florets in a large bowl.
- As soon as the cauliflower is out of the pot, return the water to a boil and drop in the potatoes; cook them at a gentle boil just until a knife blade pierces the center easily--don't let them get mushy.
- Drain and briefly cool the potatoes; peel them while still warm, cut into 1/4-inch dice, and put them in the serving bowl with the cauliflower.
- Peel and core the apples; cut into 1/4-inch dice, and add to the salad bowl.
- Trim the radishes, quarter them in wedges, and drop into the bowl along with the diced onion, cubes of Asiago, and toasted walnuts.
- Sprinkle the salt over the salad pieces and toss; drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad and toss; sprinkle on the parsley and toss once more, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!