Country Fried Corn
- Ready In:
- 6 ears corn
- 3 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Scrape kernels of corn off the cob using a sharp knife. Be sure to get as much liquid from the cob as possible. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet cook the bacon until crisp; remove from skillet and crumble. Set aside.
- Stir corn into hot bacon drippings. Add water and sugar.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Gradually stir milk into cornstarch until smooth. Add to corn.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Stir in butter and salt.
- Top with crumbled bacon before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I'm always trying to "fancy-up" my food and this was *perfect*. I made the following adjustments to reduce calories: I started with 1 T bacon fat & *gasp _canned_ corn. I omitted the bacon, sugar, & butter. Still had tons of flavor. I know this diverges from the recipe, but it worked really well and I am thrilled with its taste and consistency! Thank you!
This is corn kicked up a notch! I took this to Thanksgiving dinner at my MIL 'cause my little princess really likes corn. You now have a 13-month old fan with this recipe. Preparing the corn this way seems to heighten the sweetness of the corn, and of course, you can't go wrong with bacon. I'll most definitely make this one again. Thanks! :)