Cottage Pie with a difference
photo by wizkid
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
For the filling
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, approximately
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 1 teaspoon beef extract or 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper
For the topping
- 5 large potatoes, cubed
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g butter
- 1 dash milk
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 dash parmesan cheese (optional)
- The filling: Finely chop the onions and garlic and gently fry until transparent in the olive oil.
- (approx 3 minutes) Cube the carrots and put those into the pan with the onions and the garlic, cook for another 2 or so minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- If too dry add a little water.
- When cooked put into a ovenproof casserole.
- The topping: Boil the potatoes until cooked.
- Mash them adding the milk and half of the butter.
- Add the grated cheese and mix well.
- Put the mash mix on top of the filling.
- You may wish to sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top of this.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the topping, putting a knob of butter on each tomato.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40- 50 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked, and the top is brown and slightly crispy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Hertford in England with my husband, son and dog. I love cooking, and love reading recipie books planning meals for my friends. However, I spend so long reading the books, I tend to be put off trying the recipies myself. I find recipezaar a brilliant resource, and try a new recipie every weekend. My first being spinach and ricotta canelloni which is absolutely delicious.