Cottage Cheese Quiche
- Ready In:
- 1 prepared unbaked pie shell (store bought, such as Pillsbury)
- 2 cups cottage cheese (not lowfat)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fried onions, crushed or 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 eggs
- Bake pie shell at 400 degrees for about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine rest of ingredients except fried onions.
- Stir to mix.
- Place mixture in pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fried onions (or breadcrumbs).
- Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
Join The Conversation
I only had one and 1/4 cut low-fat cottage cheese so added one more egg and used Alpine cheese that I got on sale for the other cheese.. Also sautéed the onions with slightly steamed chopped broccoli before adding to filling. Used a prepared gluten free crust.. Otherwise followed recipe and was delicious.
Real men do eat quiche if they are told it is pie. In the 80's there was a popular book entitled "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" by Bruce Feirstein which was really more a satire of "what real men" should and shouldn't do, so to be on the safe side I called it "Cottage Cheese Pie" until after it was consumed by the men to whom it was served. They liked it except they are onion haters and I couldn't sneak it by them despite finely chopping the onion. Next time I was asked to leave out the onions (maybe go with a clove or two of garlic).