Cottage Cheese Cheesecake with Oreo Crust
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 3⁄4 Oreo cookies (about 47 Nilla Wafers) or 1 3/4 vanilla wafers (about 47 Nilla Wafers)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cottage cheese, creamed
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped (approximately 2 cups when whipped)
- For the crumb crust: In a bowl, mix together the ingredients until well combined. Press into a 9 inch springform pan or a 10 inch pie plate.
- For the chilled cheesecake: Combine the gelatin and 3/4 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Beat the egg yolks, then stir in the milk gradually.
- Stir into the gelatin mixture and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until gelatin dissolves and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Beat the cottage cheese with and electric mixer at high speed for 3-5 minutes or until completely smooth. Stir into gelatin mixture, then chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually and beat until very stiff. Fold into the gelatin mixture, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Turn into the prepared pan. Chill for 3-4 hours or until firm. Loosen side of pan with a sharp knife and release springform.
- You can decorate the cheesecake with chocolate leaves in a circular pattern on top and/or place fresh raspberries in the center.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I think there is a huge typo in this recipe. 2 (8 oz) packages of unflavored gelatin is extremely too much! I think the author of this recipe made a very big mistake and it was a costly one for me. I was hesitant when I started making it and sure it was totally wrong after I opened my last package of gelatin. Please make sure recipes submitted are correct in every measurement and ingredient. Food.com should have proofed and tested before offering online to the public.