Cornmeal Citrus Cookies
photo by spatchcock
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
7 dozen cookies, depending on size
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and salt and citrus zest on med speed until very fluffy and well blended.
- Add egg yolk and mix until well blended.
- add egg and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in cornmeal and flour until just combined.
- Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm, at least one hour (Dough can be refrigerated for two days or frozen for a month).
- To bake, position rack in upper third of oven and another rack in lower third.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove one disk of dough from fridge and cut in half.
- Return unused portion to fridge.
- EITHER-- scoop cookie dough into 1-tbsp balls with small ice cream scoop and roll each ball between palms till smooth.
- Place dough balls on parchment lined cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a smooth glass dipped in flour (I used turbinado sugar!) gently flatten each dough ball to about 1.
- 8 inch thickness.
- OR-- Lightly flour work surface.
- Roll dough to 1/3 inch thick, using offset spatula to loosen dough.
- sprinkle surface lightly with flour as needed.
- Cut dough into desired shapes.
- Plase shapes on parchment lined cookie sheets, spacing about 1/2 inch apart.
- Get as many dough shapes out of each sheet because dough should*only be rolled twice.
- *Discard any leftover dough after second folling, or form leftover dough into balls and flatten to 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake 2 sheets at a time, until cookies are evenly golden brown.
- ,6 to 8 minutes.
- Rotate sheets halfway through baking for even browning.
- Using thin-bladed spatula, immediately transfer to cooling racks.
- Decorate if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!