Cornmeal Cheddar Scones
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- unsalted butter, melted
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place the first 7 ingredients in a food processor.
- Add 3/4 cup butter; pulse 3-4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place flour mixture in a large bowl; stir in cheese.
- Wish together egg and buttermilk until blended.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add egg mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead lightly 3-4 times.
- Put dough into a 10 x 7 inch rectangle.
- Cut into 15 squares.
- Place squares on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush tops with melted unsalted butter, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!