Cornish Hen Bordelaise
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 8 Cornish hens, about 1 lb each
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 dash paprika
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup madeira wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 onion, chopped fine
For the birds:
- rub hens inside and out with butter.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika.
- Place a piece of onion and celery inside each hen. tie legs together.
- Roast uncovered about 1 hr @ 425 degrees F basting with melted butter.
For the Sauce:
- In a small bowl combine thyme, bay leaf, and wine; set aside.
- when birds are done pour off 1/2 cup drippings into skillet and saute' onion until soft.
- mix cornstarch and sugar into the chicken stock and add to skillet. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and add the wine. simmer about 5 minutes or until desired thickness is reached.
- strain sauce into a gravy boat and serve with hens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!