- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 10 peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 kg corned beef (silverside is good)
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, making sure there is enough water to cover the piece of meat.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 2 hours, or until very tender.
- Allow to rest in the water for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- Recommend serving with Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef recipe#21617.
Join The Conversation
My husband said this was the best corned beef he'd ever had. My brisket came with a little packet of spices (I recognized juniper, bay, and whole mustard, not sure what else was in there) which I added along with everything else. My brisket started floating about midway through the cook time, so I weighted it down with a salad plate. I also completely forgot to buy cabbage, so we turned off the heat about 15 minutes shy of 2 hours and left it to cool in the broth for almost an hour while we went to the store--with no apparent harm done.