photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- Combine dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and shortening. Stir lightly.
- Pour into well-greased 9" square pan.
- Bake @ 425°F for 20-25 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So easy to make, yet really delicious. The cornbread was flavorful yet not too dry (which seems to be the case with many cornbread recipes that I've tried). I'm glad this one worked out so well for us. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Lavender Lynn. Made for 2014 Culinary Quest (U.S. Southern Cooking).
What a great recipe. I made this as written but turned them into muffins. My husband will eat cornbread if it is in muffin form. This is a lovely recipe, the cornbread was tall, tender and flavorful with a nice crumb. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to try this in stuffing. Made for the JOY of Vegetables tag game.
see 7 more reviews