Corn Zucchini Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups corn kernels (I use frozen)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups ham, diced (optional)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add zucchini and cook until crisp tender, about five minutes.
- Stir in corn, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Cook until heated through.
- Gradually add flour a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition. Gradually stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add ham if desired. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Excellent combination of everything. I used the optional ham, simply because I had some to use up. Even with the ham, the veggies are still the stars of the casserole. I know this will be just as good without the ham as well. I plan on growing summer squash this year, so I'll return to this recipe again. Thanx!
I liked the zucchini in this, not always my familys favourite vegetable, so a good one to have them eat it. I omitted the ham. I used a bit of olive oil to saute the onions and zucchini, and I used mozzarella for the cheese. This was a good vegetarian side dish, easily prepared and very tasty, I also liked the fact that it didn't need to be in the oven for as long as this type of casserole often requires. I would definitely make this again, lovely! Thanks for a nice recipe!