Corn, Mushroom, and Potato Chowder (Vegan)
Vegan comfort food! This recipe is inspired by one from Alex Jamieson's The Great American Detox Diet, but modified quite a bit by me. If you have picky eaters at your house, you can leave the mushrooms on the side and let each person decide whether to add them to his/her bowl.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (button or baby portabella)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk (more or less to taste)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add veggie broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Saute mushrooms.
- Add the corn and additional broth or water, if needed. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Slowly stir in soy milk until desired color/consistency is achieved. Heat through. Do not boil.
- Serve with any or all of the following: hot sauce, additional parsley, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper.