Corn Blini With Smoked Salmon and Chive Cream
A lovely recipe with it's roots in Russia. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine. To make this vegetarian, just leave out the smoked salmon.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 ear shucked corn (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (fine ground)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 24 strips (2-inch wide)
- chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine sour cream and chives in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- Cut kernels from ear of corn. Scrape remaining pulp from cob using the dull side of a knife blade. Discard cob. Set corn aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and cornmeal in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine milk and egg yolk in a small bowl, stir well with whisk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir with a whisk until just moist. Stir in corn, salt, and pepper.
- Place egg white in a bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gently fold egg white mixture into corn mixture.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon 1 tbls. batter per blini onto pan, spreading to about 2" diameter. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges begin to set. Carefully turn blinis over, cook for 1 more mintue. Transfer blinis to a serving platter, and arrange in a single layer; keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining batter. Top each blini with with 1 piece salmon and 1 teaspoons sour cream mixture. Garnish with chopped chives, if using.
- Makes 8 servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is good and easy to make. I I followed ingredients per recipe except for the salmon. (DS doesn't like salmon). The sour cream topping seems strange in our syrup and butter world, but turned out to be a good match with a pancake wrapped around a bit of the topping and eaten out of hand. Made for ZWT4.Reply