Corn and Jalapeno Fritters
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup corn kernel (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- vegetable oil, for frying
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, milk, creamed corn just until the flour mixture has all been moistened.
- The mixture should be lumpy.
- Fold in corn, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over med-high heat; drop the corn batter by tablespoonfuls into the skillet and fry until brown on both sides.
- The centers should feel firm when gently pressed, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle fritters lightly with coarse salt immediately.
- Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce on the side.
- *The fritters can be made and kept warm in a 200° oven for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!