Corn and Cheese Griddle Cakes (Arepas)
photo by Artandkitchen
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup fresh corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- pico de gallo (optional)
- Put the cornmeal and salt in a food processor and process until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the cheese and butter.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until almost boiling. Gradually stir enough of the milk into the cornmeal mixture to make a very thick batter. Stir in the corn.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Drop half of the cornmeal mixture, 1 heaping tablespoon at a time, in 6 mounds in the skillet. Flatten slightly and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Spray the griddle cakes with nonstick spray and turn. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, transferring them to a platter when they are done; keep warm. Repeat with the remaining cornmeal mixture to make a total of 12 griddle cakes. Serve with Pico de Gallo, if using.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!