Coq Au Vin (Rooster or Chicken in Wine)
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 chicken, cut-up into pieces (or rooster)
- 1 1⁄2 cups approximately 1/2 bottle of full-body red Burgundy wine (we used Lemberger)
- 6 bacon, slices diced
- 1⁄2 lb baby portobella mushroom
- 12 white pearl onions (we used canned)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- A day in advance, place the rooster/chicken 8 pieces in large sealable dish. Pour half a bottle of red Burgundy wine over it.
- Add the small white onions, the quartered peeled carrots and the herbs. Cover and put in the fridge.
- The next day, remove and drain the chicken and vegetables. Put the wine aside for later use.
- Brown the chicken pieces with oil in a skillet. Remove the chicken. Using the same skillet, add garlic to the vegetables and heat for a couple of minutes.
- Put the chicken and the vegetables in a large sauce pan. Pour the wine in and add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil at moderate heat. Cover and cook at low heat for 1 or 2 hours.
- Heat bacon, onion and mushrooms in a skillet until brown (about 10 minutes).
- When the chicken is ready, add bacon, onion and mushrooms in the pan, cook and stir for 2 or 3 minutes. Taste and correct the seasoning,.
- Add parsley to the chicken when finished. Serve with rice or potatoes and the other half of the bottle of wine.
- Other wine suggestions: red Burgundy wine, or Cotes du Rhone red, Morgon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.